family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!

It seems strange to say "Happy Halloween" to me, because it doesn't seem like the jolliest of holidays with all the creepy and dark and gruesome. Plus, kids eat a whole bunch of sugar and get all cranky... but happy Halloween!

And if someone is referred to as a Grinch if they hate Christmas, than shouldn't I be referred to as an angel since I'm (ah-hem) not very fond of Halloween? Just makes sense.  And, since this may be the only day out of the year that I can be referred to as an ANGEL, I'm all over this thought!:)

The kids have been off to school for half a day now, I just dropped Abram off for preschool, and put Pace down for a nap.  Time to upload pictures:

I get grouchy spending money on Halloween costumes unless I am making one that I am excited about.  I didn't get grouchy this year, because we didn't buy any costumes - although I bought some fabric to make boots and a cape for this little cutie.  Get ready, this is really cute!!:


(I couldn't get him to hold still to take his picture until I put him on top of a counter at the school Halloween carnival last night.) He already had the t-shirt and pants, and we already had some red girl's tights - which became his super hero underwear- so that was the costume I decided to go with:) Dressing up a kid this age for Halloween almost makes me like October 31st because they are so irresistible in their costumes!

Superman trying to make an escape from his sister



Shawn made a wand for Isabelle because she wanted to be Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. (Which worked out great, because she could use the robe Caden used when he was her age, and dressed up as Harry Potter.) The little boys thought the wand was neat, so he made two more for them, all completely different so they can tell them apart.


THEN, Nolan decided to be Captain America again, like he was last year, but his shield, which I had made him out of cardboard, was all broken up, so Shawn made him a new one.  Shawn was having fun!



A closer look:

What a great dad for doing all of this - I'm positive that it's the best shield in the school today. (I'm also positive that Captain America will come home with even bigger muscles from hefting it around:)

Last week we noticed a clothing sale in a warehouse in town where everything was $5.00 or under.  We couldn't pass up these pants for Maddie.  I was thinking of a costume; Kami bet me that Maddie would want to wear them year-around.  Guess who was right?


Suh-weet!  They are shiny blue and stretchy, and Mads can't wait to wear Marvel t-shirts with them. For today, I stitched an emblem on a red shirt, she added a sparky gold belt that she already had, and also that head band that was kicking around from some other costume.

Caden is another angel in this house.  He didn't dress up.

Kami decided to dress up as a 50's woman, or "her grandma!" It would have been nice if she had some horn-rimmed glasses, but we thought we did pretty good on the hair considering that hers is so long!


Best part?  We actually found this dress in her Grandma Shirley's house.  Either her grandma Gee sewed it, or one of her Grandma's sisters.  I actually LOVE this dress - it has the greatest pleats and stuff.  I think I will have to have Caden take pictures of everything later, (so details show up better) and then switch out pictures when I catch up to his camera:)

Plans for tonight?  We MAY attend a first-time-in-12-years- trunk or treat.  I say "may" because I don't like the idea of trunk or treats.  Kids get way too much candy way too fast, for one thing. For another thing, we just feel like the old-fashioned method of trick-or-treating builds such a sense of community!  There are so many elderly people and couples that want trick-or-treaters and don't get any one coming by anymore because of this trunk junk.

So why might we go? Well...Shawn's parents have to work at the Temple Visitor's Center 45 minutes away, and we thought that we would try to go visit them.  It's a Halloween tradition to end at their house, and we'll be out too late if we do both! (Although we WILL make some stops to our regulars:)

3 comments:

  1. You were thinking the same as us on the wands. Nathan made one for each of the kids. Elijah didn't want to be left out. I love Nolan's shield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute. Love the wands and shields. So nice that Shawn is around to do these things!! Madi's pants are so fun. Your kids are darling. I love Halloween (it's the most creative holiday)! But, I completely agree with you about trick or treating. I make Todd walk with me to each house so we can meet all the people who live nearby. On our country road there are no trick or treaters, so we go "happy halloween-ing" just to have an excuse to say hi and bring little kid cheer to the older couples on our street. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't figure out how you did Kami's hair so perfectly. I love her costume! All the costumes are great!

    ReplyDelete