family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Thursday, October 23, 2014

spooked

Yesterday Abram kept mentioning that he would like to do some scary things to "give the kids the creeps." We decided to make a spook house downstairs in the storage room:)  He wanted something "really scary", but when I mentioned using the werewolf and witch mask that we have, he told me that would scare HIM too badly.  No, he wanted to make "Hagrid, and a murdered person, and spiders and poisoned food!" Things that were scary to him, but not TOO scary:) We got busy and  I dutifully followed all of his instructions to the T. It was interesting to see what thoughts go through that little head!

First we made Hagrid:

Then we made the dead person:




Complete with "fangs" and stone eye balls:

And that was all that we had time to do before the kids came home.  Abram and I decided to keep it a secret until it was all finished up, but later I told Shawn about it, and he said, "Is that what that was? Yeah...  I had the older kids help me carry bags of salt for the water softener downstairs earlier and we saw it.  We all thought it was pretty creepy." I asked him if they had wondered why it was all there, and he said that they all just thought I was pretty excited for Halloween this year. HA! My family should know by now that I never get excited about Halloween unless I have made some costumes that I'm excited about.

I don't go in for creepy/spooky decorations.  I like cute and old-fashioned Halloween.

Today we finished up with some (no doubt) poisonous food:



For some reason this dangling candle was creepy (Caden's favorite part). Shawn and the kids said that Abe would shine his flashlight at it, and, in a scary voice say, "The candle!!!":


All of us loved this sign that he instructed me to make for the door:


Especially the "Hagrid" part:)

Abram gave one tour through, in the dark for the first time, and made it all sound so scary that he got scared himself!  He could hardly get himself to give the next two tours, but they were a screaming success, so everyone wanted to go through again!  He agreed to do it IF the lights were on:)

I think he has had his fix of thrilling creepiness. It's funny how all of this came out of his own head, but his own imagination is scaring him to death. He just told me, "I HATE our spook house!!! Especially Hagrid.  It's SO SCARY!!!" I started out doing this with him and thinking that I was being such a good, fun mom.  Now I am thinking, "what sort of a mother am I?!?!" I think he'll have a hard time falling asleep for awhile.

And I think we will take it down tomorrow.  When he said prayers for family prayer, he made everyone come back after he had already said "amen" because he said that he had forgotten something "very important".  He then prayed that we wouldn't have any bad nightmares, and when he finished he glanced towards the door.  Dum-da-dum-dum....




2 comments:

  1. That is soooo cute! How fun to see his imagination working and scaring himself with it!

    ReplyDelete