family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day

Some of you may not know that I was born on the bicentennial of the United States, which caused my parents to wax very creative indeed and name me Amy Erica! (If you drop the "y" this spells America.)  The effect of this, and I'm sure many other things, is that I have always loved and appreciated our country and love to celebrate on the Fourth of July.  I have read so many books about our founding fathers and the sacrifices that they made, and have the greatest admiration for their lives and intelligence and courage!  They were inspired individuals with so much talent and ability, who I am sure were raised up to do the work that they did. As I read things that they wrote I wonder why they sound so much more intelligent and more dignified than the leaders of today. (Or than me for that matter.) Education seemed so much better then.  They read and understood harder documents and writings, their vocabularies were better and they talked at such a higher level and expressed themselves so much more clearly than the people of today.  They were also more ambitious deep thinkers, because they taught themselves things that we would only stoop to learn if forced to do so in a classroom with the threat of an "F" hanging over our heads. And they weren't just learning it all so that they could be glorified by man one day.  They did it for a much higher and noble cause. I could go on about them all day and you could read my book.  But don't worry...


We began our Independence Day bright and early with a family breakfast at gramdma and grandpa's house. 

Afterwards the kids played with cousins for awhile:
playing PIG
Abram and Ainsley
playing kick ball

Then we went to the parade
L-R: Sam, Isaac, Nolan, Maddie, Abby, Ali
Nicki, with her 3-D movie sunglasses (what a hoot), and Belle.
The man who showed up to the parade with a snake - all the kids had to touch it.

During the afternoon the kids and cousins swam in the pond, I made a potato salad and brownies and some sugar cookies that the kids decorated.

Then we all met up at Terry and Kristi's house for dinner and some more great time with the family.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun fourth! Love the first picture of the kids.
    -Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that your name was tied to America. That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned two things about comments. One reason it freaks out sometimes is if you click the "keep me signed in" box when you login...for some reason...that messes it up. Another thing you can try is using Mozilla Firefox as the browser instead if Internet Explorer. That has fixed my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew about your name! And I agree with you about vocabulary and deep thinking--we don't seem to value it as much and it's sad how much we are losing.

    ReplyDelete