family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy moments

There have been some things that have happened around here lately that have made me happy when they happened and make me happy when  I think about them:

1. The first one I was reminded of when I decided I wanted to blog and had to get Caden off the computer first.  I thought he would be on Google Earth, one of his favorite things to do on the computer, but then he told me that he needed to finish his "batch" really  quick.  He was indexing names on family search.  This is one of the things that he does now, mostly on Sundays, and I think it's really neat.

2. I get the giggles sometimes, during the week, when I think about something that happens in sacrament meeting every week.  I don't know if I have mentioned that our bishop's wife comes and sits by us every week.  She started this with the intent to help if it was needed, and I must admit that at first I wondered if it would be a help or make things harder.  It has turned out to be a GREAT help!  A couple of weeks after she started sitting by us, Nolan and Abram were fighting for my lap and fighting over everything in the diaper bag.  I suddenly had an inspiration and said, "Nolan, why don't you go lay your head down on Sister Powell's lap and have a nap?  She likes to have kids nap on her."  He walked right down and put his head on her lap and went straight to sleep. (Our meetings start at 1:00 and sacrament mtg. is last, so he is very worn out by then.)  Every Sunday since then, he falls asleep on her lap every week.  Almost every week when he wakes up, she has a pile of drool on her lap. ( She is really doing a service, let me tell you.  I do feel bad about the drool.:(  When my brother Matt was here, he asked Nolan, "So who was that lady that you were sleeping on in sacrament meeting?"  And Nolan said, "It's Sister Powell.  She REALLY likes people to sleep on her lap."  Matt said, "Would she like it if I slept on her lap?"  "No, really she just likes me to."   Last Sunday she told me that he walked over to her first thing and said, "Don't feel bad if I don't sleep on your lap today."  But later he felt tired and ended up falling asleep on her after all.

3. Kami is such a fun girl to these little kids!  They love it when she plays their imaginary games with them, and I can see why!  Yesterday I was cleaning the bathroom and found a paper that she had written on as she played a game with Nolan and Isabelle.  It said,

"Cook and our fellow servants,
    We have decided to run away. We can no longer endure staying under the rule of Sir Ralph.We will return when we have gathered our army to gain back the kingdom.  We will miss you all. Wish us luck."

She didn't play with them for a very long time, but got them started down an imaginary road.  Then she took off to do something else, and Isabelle and Nolan were left playing, over in the shade of the trees,  that they were running away. It was cute to see them as they walked and planned with their heads close together -plotting out the next turn of events. Kami always knows just what will appeal to their imaginations.

4. A couple of nights ago, Nolan decided that he wanted to have a sleepover... with Caden.  Caden pretended to be very excited about the invitation and kept saying, "This is going to be so fun!!"  He slept on Nolan's lower bunk and they told stories until Nolan announced that he was sleepy.  They had such a great time!!:) My kids being friends and enjoying each other is the biggest payback of parenthood.


5. Yesterday Shawn spent the better part of the day raking rocks out of out yard.  Yes, we are still trying to get grass in. (sigh) This rock-raking business is hard, back-breaking work! It was killling me off.  Luckily Shawn is taking it over for me.:)  When he finished for the day, he walked over to the porch and laid down on his back, which apparently was an instant invitation for the kids to climb all over him.  He was exhausted and told them not to climb on him.  Nolan immediately laid down beside him, observed his dad and arranged himself just like him, and when Isabelle came close, he said, "Don't climb on me."


 He always wants to be just like his dad. For now. When he gets older though, the competition is on!  He wants to be "stronger and taller." But hopefully he'll always be just like him in the fundamentals.:)

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome family! Such a funny story about Nolan sleeping on Sister Powell's lap every Sunday! Kami and Caden sound like such good older siblings. I need to be more like Caden... what an amazing kid to be doing "batches" of family history!
    -Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute moments to remember. You have such an amazing family. All due to their amazing mother. Love the picture of Shawn and Nolan, so cute! Looks like you are having a great and busy summer! :)

    ReplyDelete