family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Track talk

Last Wednesday at Kami's track meet, Isabelle sat beside us and listened to the adults as the events took place.  At one point we were noticing some of the runners "hit the wall" during the 400 meter run.

I am not going to pretend that  I was any good during the two times in my life that  I went out for track, but  I do know what "hitting the wall" feels and looks like. For those of you unfamiliar with this term, it is a quick description of when a runner very suddenly gets really tired and you immediately notice a difference in their speed and form.

After hearing people say "hit the wall" several times, Isabelle leaned over and quietly asked me what it meant.  I explained it to her. It wasn't long before she was begging to get down on the track and run, track meet and all.

Yesterday, she and Nolan came and asked me if  I would take them to the track so that they could go for a run.  It was a warmer-than-usual day around here and I had a half an hour before I had to go pick up Maddie, so I agreed.  This is the conversation that  I heard as they elatedly ran off to get their "running shoes" on:

I:  Oh, Nolan!  I am soooo excited!!!

     I'm so scared that I'm going to "hit the wall!"

N: (Taking the term very literally) "I never hit the wall."


Then as we drove to the track there was continual conversation about running as I heard the words "hitting the wall" over and over, like:

I: "If someone is there, it will be like a real track meet and I'll really have to try not to "hit the wall!!"

Unfortunately the track was already in use when we arrived, so the kids had to content themselves with running around a near-by field.

 I think she may have "hit the wall" right here, her form looks a little strange :)

As a side-note, Kami is having a really great experience with track and has been consistently improving her times.  This week her 800 time was 2:55, and her mile time was 6:44!  She wants to get her mile down into the 6:30's next week.  I'm hoping that we will have some good weather at one of these meets - so far they've all been very cold, and very windy, and usually rainy as well.

5 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of "hitting the wall" every time I run. Don't like it. Good job Kami on improving your times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love little kid conversation--so funny! Congratulations to Kami!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! Looks like Isabelle is going to be a track star too. Great job Kami!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny kids. And good job to Kami. I have always felt really good about myself if I can run a mile in under 8 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Kami! I think I'd feel good if I could just run (or even jog) a mile, and I'm not even going to time it to see how slow I would be.

    ReplyDelete