family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Our Easter

We do a lot of our Easter things on Saturday around here, but it was hard to focus on any of it because, as I have said, my singing assignment ( next blog down) was weighing heavily on my mind.

We colored eggs.

Kami and Caden hid the eggs on the other side of our pond where there is actually some grass and the kids had the egg hunt.  I didn't actively participate in that one, but sent the camera with Kami and looked out the window once in awhile.












For the last few years we have made "resurrection cookies" the night before Easter.  These cookies have ingredients that have scriptures that go with them and tell the Easter story.  You put them into the oven, seal the oven closed with a few pieces of tape, representing the sealed tomb, turn the oven off, and don't look at them again until morning.  The next day when you bite into them, they are hollow, representing the empty tomb, and you read some more scriptures to go with it.

For some reason they didn't turn out this year. This morning they looked like they had risen and then fallen and were hardly even hollow.  These are cookies that don't taste that great and usually end up in the garbage can anyway, so that activity was a flop. I guess it's good that we at least got the Easter story read in the process!

After I fell into bed exhausted last night,  I remembered that I hadn't done the Easter baskets.  I decided that I'd get up really early the next morning before the kids.  Well, during the night I woke up (at 3:45) and  I was starving to death!  I guess I hadn't eaten much the day before because  I was feeling so miserable.  I couldn't sleep, so I decided to get up and eat and take care of the baskets then.

I ended up surprising Shawn and the kids.  Shawn because he hadn't noticed that  I had left and when I got back into bed I stuck my freezing cold feet on him to warm up.  I'm sure that his favorite job is being my foot warmer!

5 comments:

  1. How did the singing go? What did you sing? I would have loved to hear it. I know Dave can relate to the "foot warmer" as well ;). I'm always freezing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful eggs! That's a good idea to make ressurection cookies. You'll have to share the recipe. We too can relate to the foot warmer thing. Joseph teases that the only reason I love him is because he's always warm and I am always cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to try the Easter cookies, but we ran out of time and I had too many goodies around the house. I thought about doing them tonight for FHE though.

    Aaron is very good at warming my cold feet up, but I must admit I'm not so good. His favorite quote is, "At least I'm good for something," but I try to tell him he's wonderful at everything. Maybe he just likes to hear me say it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice that Kami is old enough to do things like take photos at the Easter Egg hunt! Awesome! :) We made those cookies last year and I didn't have energy to do it this year, so good job to you for getting it done even if they didn't turn out. The marshmallows in crescent rolls have never turned out for me (have you ever done those Easter rolls, same concept as the cookies). And how neat about your singing miracle. If anyone can call down miracles it would be you! It was fun to see you yesterday, even for a minute amidst my crying, running children. I was near tears after 2 hours of wrestling them, so I hope I was friendly enough because it was wonderful to chat with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I am the odd one because I don't like to have hot feet so I sleep most of the time with my feet out of the covers. Nathan thinks I am crazy because I go bare foot around the house all of the time too.

    It looks like your Easter was fun and I like the cookie idea. You do need to pass it along sometime. Our kids were lucky to get their Easter baskets after church and it was no fault of theirs. They have lazy (really tired) parents right now. Then at the end of the day I asked them to clean up the house so according to them it wasn't a fun day. I know they enjoyed the day up till then though.

    ReplyDelete