family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The needs of a growing family

Shawn and I put the little kids to bed last night and then went grocery shopping. I couldn't help noticing that all of the things we needed to purchase were things that I had just purchased last week!  In the past, we could go about one month on what it takes a week to get through now.  I guess we're not the only adult appetites in the family anymore!  We got home and I realized, as I went to put the chicken away, that I didn't need to divide it into smaller portions anymore before I stuck it into the freezer - the carton it comes in is just the right size for us now.  I guess that's a plus!

This morning, as we ate our favorite breakfast of pancakes with pear/blueberry puree on top, Shawn announced that we were down to our last jars of pears.  When did that happen?  I was just down in the storage room a couple of weeks ago and we still had quite a few... I had to go take a look a little while ago just to make sure. Yep, sure enough, and the salsa is pretty low, too. I thought I had amounts, etc. all figured out and suddenly they all changed!!

All of those empty jars had something in them just six months ago!

I really quite enjoy canning for the first day, or maybe for the first few batches.  The kids usually like it for about that long, too, and it is fun to have little helpers sharing the burden and talking my ear off - until the novelty wears off.  The older kids are usually in school by the time peaches and pears are ready, so they can't help much. Sadly, by the end it is just me, the endless fruit and the jars.  (But when I really run out of steam, I must admit that Shawn has been a fabulous life-saver helper.)


Last year I thought I was keeping up a pretty good pace, but then I called my younger sister, Heidi.  Among other things, we compared canning notes.  I had been getting five batches done per day and was feeling like I had really accomplished a lot with that amount.  Heidi, however, who also by the way has more children than I do, had managed seven batches per day and was pregnant and cheerful!  My sisters are amazing. 

I guess I am writing this because I am already filled with dread for this coming September, because I can't stand the thought of doing more than I already did.  But I love to have the fruit all year and  I am disappointed when we have to forgo our  favorite breakfast.  What to do?  I am turning into a cannery.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I don't know how you did all that canning last year. I felt like I did all I could given the baby I had and the age she was at the time. You had a baby the same age plus five other children, plus I know you were busy with getting your house done. Phew! I'll never live up to my amazing sisters and mother!
    I like your storage shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy I couldn't agree more. I don't like the canning part but love having it on the shelves. I didn't even do hardly any this last year which means I have to hit it hard this year to get the shelves stocked. Sigh. Too bad you don't live closer it would be fun to do canning with you. I really like your set up for storage space.

    ReplyDelete