family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Saturday, March 28, 2015

My Distinguished Young Woman!


The last three months have been pretty busy as Kami has prepared for the Distinguished Young Women program.  Thursday night I attended a luncheon with Kami and all the other participants and their mothers. Talk about a group of classy, talented and outstanding young women (twenty in all)!

Below - participants plus some leaders:


I grabbed a few pictures of her with some of her besties! l-r: Kamille, Haylee Hammond, Remi, Annie Stoddard, Hannah Griffith, Elisa Walker:
Shayla Babcock and Kami:


Yesterday was the long-awaited day, and boy was it busy!  (Made even busier by the fact that Kami had to do a skit for a school assembly so that she could run for student council this year).  By the time her interview with the panel of judges came up, I don't think her mind was really in it and she didn't feel like it went very well.  BUT, I got to watch the rest and I thought she was outstanding and stunningly beautiful in everything that she did:)

Self expression:




Talent - She played the Revolutionary Etude by Frederic Chopin.  Her grandma wrote up a really great introduction :  "The famous composer, Frederic Chopin, much preferred playing for small Paris gatherings, called Salons, to large audiences. He soon became the favorite performer for these wealthy and cultured patrons.  Tonight, Kamille Gee, dressed reminiscent of those adoring aristocratic ladies of Paris, will perform Chopin's fiery Revolutionary Etude, composed when his beloved Poland fell to Russia.  Please welcome Kamille Gee playing Chopin a la high society." Marilyn thought up the feather in her hair and everything else and before Kami began she gave a snooty flip of her head and patted her hair, smiled at the judges and began.  This was afterwards:






Fitness:

Doing her solo in fitness (She's going into a kick):








She ended up winning the talent and scholastic parts of the program and came in as the 4th runner up over all!  Way to go Kami - you are amazing! We were so excited!!!!

So was her grandma!

I can't believe how hard she and Kami worked at that piano piece! Marilyn asked her interview questions every time she came over, and found MANY opportunities to have Kami play her piece in public beforehand.  I realized that this was one of the highlights of the whole program for Kami one day, when she said, "It's just so fun to be getting to spend all of this time with grandma!"

Our neighbor, Julie Coray, was also so helpful to Kami, giving her so many useful tips from stage make-up to poise; and taking the time to meet with her and see how she was coming along from time to time. She is so wonderful!:


Several of her friends from Sugar City came to watch, and I feel badly because I didn't catch a picture of one of her best friends from Sugar; Amree:(


One of the best parts was that her best friends were runners-up with her!
Classy girls, Hailee, Kamille and Annie:


This was really a remarkable experience and I am so glad that Kami participated! It was also so wonderful to have so many people there to support her!  Shawn's sisters, parents, Aunt Linda, my sister Katie and three of her kids, and my good friend Tara Reilley and many other friends and relatives and neighbors scattered throughout the audience!

I am now looking forward to sleeping better at night and having time to devote to things other than working on routines with her so many evenings and costume sewing and creating! It's been fun and exciting spending the time with her, but I am completely worn out!


3 comments:

  1. Kami looks stunning! I can imagine the many, many hours that went into preparing for this! What an exceptional girl! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a production! I wish I could have seen her play piano with all the flare of acting the part. I could just see her patting her hair and doing the snooty head toss things. :) I loved the feather touch. Kami looks gorgeous!!! I am impressed with all the hard work that went into it all and Kami's bravery. Congratulations! That is some well deserved success! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Stunning! Oh how I wish I could have been there! Thanks for posting the pictures and the details - it helps me feel a little better. Kami really is amazing! The other day, Alison said, "Mom, whoever marries Kami is going to be one lucky guy!" I wholeheartedly agree!

    ReplyDelete