family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Monday, November 24, 2014

The things HE says volume 8

Abe turned five yesterday!  I love this sweet, loving, entertaining, very cheerful little boy:






We all do.  His birthday was simple, as it was Sunday and all, but he was delighted with it!.  He has a grateful, generous little heart.



For months now, he has been fascinated by some cars at the grocery store, and has to play with them for awhile every time we go.  I have been telling him that I would let him pick one out on his birthday, so Saturday I told him we'd better go pick one out early!  He asked, "Mom, can I get two?"  I said that I supposed so.  He said, "Good, because I wanted Nolan to get to pick one out, too!"  He never backed out of that, and he and Nolan have had a great time with their cars together.

His only real request on his birthday was that he wanted a "Python birthday cake with a fruit roll-up tongue".  I took a cake decorating class when Caden was a baby so that I could create master piece birthday cakes for my children.  Kami and Caden got some pretty cool cakes when they were tots.  HOWEVER, it has become a family tradition, somewhere along the line, for my kids to decorate their cake WITH me.  We haven't had a fancy-looking cake since. I found a really easy-peasy Python-looking cake on-line and Abe was excited to decorate it with me....until he opened his presents first and got too interested in playing with his new toys:)  I stuck with the easy plan and decorated it speedy quick - even added some Hershey's Kisses because I knew his cousins would be excited about that.  Then we headed off to visit grandparents and cousins like we do every Sunday with his "Python" cake:


Isabelle says it looks more like a green worm to her:) I didn't want to ruin anyone's appetite, but I'd say more like a slug!

I have been saving up a lot of things that Abe says so that someday when he is old and mature, I can read about what he was like and the way that he talked when he was four!

Abe: "Mom, I'm into really cool things now.  Like coloring, and transformers, the Book of Mormon, cool fighting, and playing with toy "guys", and cars, and playing the guitar (Ukulele), and playing with Pace, and I'm into Halloween, and Christmas and November." That pretty much sums up his interests right now:)

Abe: "When I'm five I'll be able to get more trophies.  Because I'll be able to wrestle...Do ALL the sports...except Olympics".

Shawn recently downloaded Photoshop onto our computer for his job.  Abe heard us talking about it and confused me by asking about his dad's other new job.  Upon further questioning he said, "No! Dad's other new job.  He's getting the photo shop!"

After telling Abe to keep track of his school library books one day, he said, "I'm the kind of boy that looks everywhere for things that I need!" So I guess there is no need to keep track of them?

I bought some "go-gurts" for school lunches, and Abe sampled one one day.  He then proclaimed, loudly and with great surprise, "This tastes like lion fur!!!" I said, "Gross!  Let's take them back to the store!!" He took another small bite and then said, "Well, the first bite tasted that way, but this one didn't.  I think they should make this yummier!"

I should say so!

Abram likes to comb his hair in exciting ways, every chance he gets.  One day as he was combing it, he said, "I want to get it all lionishy and stuff...there...Now it's all perched up!"

We've had to make many, many things off-limits to Pace, much to his frustration.  As Pace cried one day about not being able to get into a cupboard, I heard Abe say in a conciliatory tone, "Pace, this is just life!!" He claims to have heard this on PBS:)

Abe found Pace sucking on a wet cloth and said, "Pace, you are disqualified from thirst."

At the gym, a little boy pushed Pace down the stairs.  Abram was telling me about it, and said, "Mom, if that kid pushes Pace down the stairs again, I'll chew him up.  Then I'll say, "That's what you get for hurting my baby!!"

Last week when it snowed, Abram was thrilled.   He oohed and ahhhed about the snow in the front yard for quite some time. Then, while I was putting school lunches together, I heard him yell, "YOU GUYS!  IT SNOWED IN THE BACK YARD TOO!!!!!!!"

Abe was singing one of his preschool songs about the mother duck that keeps quacking for her ducklings to come back, but one at a time they keep disappearing...until the daddy duck quacks.  Then ALL of them come back.  Hoping for some insight on how to get kids to immediately obey, I asked Abe why he thought they obeyed the daddy duck?  He said, "Because he was a wilder quacker!!" I'll have to try that...




4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm laughing so hard! I love that boy! Can NOT believe he's 5!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracks me up! I sure love that little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are gems worth preserving! I like the threat to 'chew up' the bully at the gym. That sounds a lot more intimidating than chewing him out. He sounds like a cute character of a boy. Happy Birthday, Abe! Heidi

    ReplyDelete