family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Our latest projects

I have a very unique challenge here at our house.  I have a daughter that is only about an inch shorter than I am, but about 10 inches smaller around.  Shopping for her is such a trick, because height-wise she should fit in women's clothes, but everything falls off of  her.  In sizes that fit around, everything is too short.  Around Thanksgiving time I started getting the itch to sew something, and was thinking of making something for her since her birthday was coming up.  As I was looking through patterns  I was delighted to see that there were some patterns that actually had a size that fits her perfectly!!  When Shawn is on the road I have been enjoying sewing after I put the kids to bed at night, and Kami's wardrobe has been benefiting. (She's the one that needs it right now.)  The first dress I gave her for her birthday and it's probably my favorite:


Hmmm... Someone really needs some photography lessons.  None of the cute details show up and the dress looks black and it's really purplish blue, which is a great color on her.  The second dress:





Somewhere in between those two dresses, Kami told me that she wanted to learn to sew something, so she sewed clothes for some 18" dolls that Mads and Belle were getting for Christmas.  Here are a couple of the outfits.  She did a great job!!


We thought those would be a good way to work up to sewing something bigger.  Last week she finished sewing this skirt:

front view

and back


She likes having the new outfits, but I don't know that she loves to sew.  Let's just say that I had to keep encouraging her to finish the project!!  But she did it, and both of us passed off some personal progress to boot!

While we're on Kami's creations, I thought these rings were creative and cute and the girls felt so modern wearing them:

You've got to notice the cool nail designs that Maddie is making, too!  :)
Kami made them out of crepe paper and then we Mod Podged them.  She made one for all the girls, even me:)  I even wore it to church with the rest of the girls, even though Shawn thought it was a little "juvenile" for me...



After all, it matched my shirt that had roses the same color all over it!!  And ladies, what do you do when  your preschooler makes you a macaroni necklace?  We wear them! And this is way better than a macaroni necklace!  Thanks to Kami for making us all feel so glam!


11 comments:

  1. I'm completely impressed! I love that purple dress--yes I could tell it was purple. Amazing job on the doll clothes and the skirt. I'm totally jealous of all the outfits the beauty of the girl modeling them. The rings are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing talent! I need lessons. That purple dress is so classy! All of the clothes are. Kami's skirt is darling. And, of course you know we ALL love those rings. The girls want one so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The purple dress is super cute. Good job Kami on making the doll clothes and skirt. Sadie has been interested in sewing but she has to learn from her father instead. Pretty sad. I fear we will be in the same boat with Sadie that Kami is in. I always have trouble finding pants that fit around her waist-a belt is necessary. I had better really encourage her sewing so she can maker her own clothes. When I first glanced at the first picture I thought it was you. Kami looks so much like you I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! The dresses are so cute. I don't think I would have the talent do make clothes. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem with my daughter--she's my height or perhaps....a little taller and sooo thin. I never learned to enjoy sewing but Eva's always making rosettes to wear in her hair, on her clothes, as necklaces, etc. She loves it! I need to get some pattern numbers--she'd love that skirt. It's nearly impossible to find dresses/skirts that are long enough for her long lets and that will stay around her waist--I bought one in the fall and it is too short already!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These dresses are fabulous!!! Kami is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! You are SO talented! I am way impressed. I wish I knew how to sew that well! And Kami is such a doll! Cute rings too. Great job to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those dresses! She looks beautiful. What an awesome project. You've inspired me. Is there a certain brand of pattern that you're finding you like better than others? I'd love to try something fun for Annie, but I get so scared because I hate following a pattern. Way to go, I'm totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so amazing; these clothes are something you would find out of a Vogue Magazine! Kami looks just stunning! You are both talented seamstresses!
    I love the rings that Kami made out of crepe paper; she could sell them at a boutique! How fun that your daughter who I might add is a little replica of you, also has her mother’s creative and artistic talents!

    I just love your blog posts; it is fun to keep in touch this way!
    You mentioned in a comment to me that we should share memories; I think that is a fabulous idea! However I have to warn you that for some reason, lately I have the worst memory. I am trying to do things to help improve this major problem. However this will be a good activity to think of events in the past and record them!
    You are such an inspiration to me! How blessed I am to be related to such an Incredible lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all turned out so cute. Great job Amy and Kami!! Great job on the cute ring too!

    ReplyDelete