family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Monday, February 2, 2015

I vote for more singing!



 I recently read this in the preface of our hymn book:

"Music has boundless powers for moving families toward greater spirituality and devotion to the gospel....The hymns can bring families a spirit of beauty and peace and can inspire love and unity among family members....Teach your children to love the hymns.  Sing them on the Sabbath, in home evening, during scripture study, at prayer time.  Sing as you work, as you play, and as you travel together.  Sing hymns as lullabies to build faith and testimony in your young ones."

(And I might add - make sure that you are color- coordinated as you sing, because it helps the harmony of the whole endeavor!)  Hahaha - that was purely accidental:)


Wow- those are a lot of things to do with hymns and blessings that can come from singing them!


Growing up, my family sang A LOT.  We would gather around the piano at least once a week - but probably more - and learn parts and sing together for hours at a time.  Those are some of my favorite memories!  We sang all sorts of songs, but we also sang many, many hymns.  This has been such a blessing in my life because I learned a lot of doctrine this way and I know it helped my testimony to grow.  It's also a blessing to me in my life right now, because I spend most church meetings at the back of the room - or in the foyer -  holding Pace.  I can't hold a hymnal at the same time as that very wiggly boy, but because we sang so much growing up, I know just about every word and verse of every song we sing and can still participate and feel a part of the worship service.


I love the hymns!  I am so thankful that my parents instilled in me a love for the hymns!  It is time for me to kick it up a notch in my current family!


3 comments:

  1. Those are some of my fondest childhood memories too. I think that really brought us together and also brought the Spirit. I remember a few times going to bed while everyone was singing just so I could lay in bed and listen and cry because of the beauty of the music and the feelings it gave me.

    Sometimes in the pictures you post I have to study them to figure out if it is you or Kami I am looking at. These are really neat pictures. That is funny that they all just happened to be so color coordinated! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color coordination was even more astounding when I realized that had I been in the picture I would have matched too! And thanks- I'll take looking like Kami any day!:)

      Delete
  2. We love doing this, as well. Every time I sit down to play, I usually end up with an audience making requests. We love Broadway show tunes too! Well, everyone but Bronson! ;)

    ReplyDelete