family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My year in retrospect

For most of the world - and for me most of the time- a new year begins on January 1st. For me, this year, I feel like a new year began August 19th, 2013, and ended today!  My year began this way:

 With all the joy and excitement that this new little boy brought to our family and our home, also came a lot of the stress, and sleeplessness and adjustments that new babies always bring.

Having a new baby made even more apparent the absence of my usually very helpful husband - who was gone all week long for the first three months of Pace's life.  We have done this for five years now, but somehow it was manageable- if not ideal- before we added a new baby to the mix. A baby brought to light my inadequacy to be everywhere for everyone and be everyone for everyone and do everything for everyone. In fact, it was impossible; especially with the practically non-existent sleep that was my daily allowance!

The year just kept getting better and better though!

1. Kami got her license soon after Pace was born and was able to take some of the load off with all the driving (which that alone was a pretty substantial load!)

2. Around 8 months, Pace FINALLY started sleeping!  He still wakes up very early in the morning - 5:30 this morning- but I get plenty of hours of uninterrupted sleep now, and it makes all the difference!

3. The very best blessing of all is that Shawn just got a new job and he won't have to leave every. single. week. anymore.!!!!!!!!!!! (I ought to add more of those) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this morning when Pace woke up so early, I was so excited to see him!  I sang him happy birthday and wrapped him up in a warm, cozy blanket and snuggled with him on the couch.  I told him all about how happy we are to have him in our family and about all the blessings that he has brought to our family.  He "talked" and smiled, and as I sang to him and scratched his back he slowly fell back to sleep.  And I sat there for a long time enjoying how he felt, all still and sleeping, and thinking about what a hard year it has been, but what a growing year!

I teach the 15 and 16 year old age group in Sunday School for church.  This week the class was on marriage and family.  We were thinking up questions that people might have about this topic.  One of the questions was, "Why would you want to have children?" One boy said that his father had told him that a child just brings such a special spirit into a home like you couldn't even imagine.  I agreed. And added that they make EVERY holiday and occasion so much more meaningful and fun.  I told them that one of the very greatest things about having children is what you learn from them.  I learn so much from all of my children, but the greatest thing I learned I never would have completely learned if I didn't have them.  I learned to love others BEFORE I had children, but I never internalized just how much Heavenly Father loves ME until I had them. The family is ordained of God and His is a perfect plan!

I taught my class about the marriage triangle.  You know - the one where each spouse makes up the lower corners of the triangle, and our Heavenly Father is at the top point of the triangle.  I told them - sometimes one spouse makes up all the rules, but hopefully both are sharing and considering each other's opinions.  Sometimes, though, that is as far as it gets, and even though it is better than just one person making all the decisions it is best  when Heavenly Father is involved in all the decisions and things that come up in a family or marriage.

I guess I am trying to explain how grateful I am that I never decided with my limited wisdom to stop having children (sometimes I wanted to!)  Recently, an acquaintance told me that she "never could have finished college and started her family at the same time".  I am so thankful that I did just that - even though it seemed an impossibility to me as well! It taught me that I truly CAN do everything that the Lord commands because he really does prepare a way to accomplish it!

Today I am counting my blessings and this little fellow figures into the list of blessings in a big way!




3 comments:

  1. You survived the year :) Pace gets cuter and cuter every day - just like all your wonderful kids! I'm excited about Shawn's new job. You need to give us more info :) Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Love you! Love your kids! That's a lot of love, but I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good lesson you taught, and a good question to think about when some of the moments with children get more challenging. Children certainly are a blessing and teach me so much. I know just what you mean about learning more about Heavenly Father's love for us after having my own children. You certainly had a rough first year and I'm glad things are looking up for you now! Heidi

    ReplyDelete