family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fathers



I love fathers.  The kind that are good men trying to do their best in their homes, teaching and loving their families. Lately I have been really appreciating how differently a man and a woman's mind works.  A woman can multi-task and accomplish so much and do it all fairly quickly.  This is a good thing, and I think a needed thing, but it also has it's drawbacks.  When we are upset or worried about someone or are going through a hard time, it affects every area of our life and we're never really able to focus on just one thing.

I had to get a close-up of Shawn's face while he was playing frisbee with the kids





















Men, on the other hand can compartmentalize.  They seem to do one thing at a time, and do it really well.  When they're at work, they're at work. When they're home they're home.  They put everything into what they're doing at the moment. They're able to put aside problems that may be happening in other aspects of their lives and they deal with the present. Yes, this also has it's drawbacks, when we expect that they can stay home and play with the kids AND keep the house clean AND possibly? get dinner started while we go grocery shopping. But what a great quality! I see Shawn come home from tough interviews, and I can see that he is weighted down and burdened, but he steps in the door and he is HOME. I wouldn't be able to do that! This is why men have the priesthood, I think. I am so grateful for the good men in the world and in my life!

These are pictures from Saturday, when we went to a park and had a picnic,


fed the ducks, played frisbee and enjoyed time with Shawn!






Sunday after all of our meetings, we went to Shawn's parents where Marilyn put on a real Oklahoma meal on for all of the dads.  Barbecued brisket(sp?), fried Okra and Texas sheet cake - the meal they always fed the missionaries when they first arrived at the mission home. All of the men in the family (particularly-or maybe just Shawn) have been pestering her to fix it for them. It was delicious!

Jim opening his presents

4 comments:

  1. Amy this was a great post. Its a good reminder to me of how different males and females are but also the amazing things we can do when we are working together. Hope you are able to see more of Shawn now that school is out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Great photos too. You are such a skinny minny! Glad you got to have some time with Shawn for Father's Day. And I like your thoughts on men and women's brains. It is a good thing! I'm going to start thinking like that instead of getting frustrated by it sometimes! :) When I see pictures of you at the Gee's I always wish I could join you all. What a super family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insights! Glad to hear from you again! I'm missing you and your positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete