family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Monday, December 5, 2011

Crevices, halls and Dr. Offices are all decked...

We have been having such a merry time!

This year when the snow began falling (back in October) I suddenly got such an overwhelming urge to create and work on some Christmas projects! Kami was feeling the same way, so first we began making some village houses.  My sister, Heidi got into these a couple of years ago-she makes them out of cardstock- and she makes them SO cute.  I just wanted something for the shelf over my front door, so I had to blow them up 400%, making the church about 2 feet tall and the houses about 1 foot:
The village - still needing some more trees and stuff.
Kami made the houses the small size and decorated a shelf:
Hmm...Her black church steeple isn't showing up against the black bookcase. But it's cute, trust me.  Good thing I got this documented, because today the little boys already rearranged everything and snapped one of the figures in half...
Let's just look at the little village - I know that bottom shelf needs to be deleted...
The little girls even got excited and made a few houses of their own:
Very fun project.  If you are interested, google something like "Martha Stewart Christmas Village" and you can print off a pattern. (The little girls made up their own patterns, though, and my sisters claim that once you've made one you can create anything - that's a claim that I can't make.  A little lacking in imagination, I guess.)

I needed some trees for my village houses, so I decided to make some of those Alpine trees that you find in the craft stores for $25-$70 dollars when they're half price.  I made them for FIVE DOLLARS!!  And it was so incredibly easy!!
It's all in how you hold your mouth when you're drilling!:)
5', 4' and 3' - just to give some perspective.  Now they just need something to cover their bases, some lights, whatever.
Shawn cut me some branches while we were at my parents for Thanksgiving, but it would be so easy to recycle a live Christmas tree after Christmas and make some of these.  I bought some $5.00 garlands and cut them up for the branches, drilled holes and hot glued them in place.

I actually ended up sending these trees off to Boise with Shawn because he said that one of his Dr. offices was looking a little bare and was in need of some Christmas decor.

My favorite things that I just put together are these elegant/cute things:
I bought these candle sticks at Wal-mart for $15.00:
Then I went grocery shopping and found all of the jars that are in the picture - an Adam's PB jar, a pickle jar and one of those dips for chips jars. When we finished eating the contents, I spray painted the lids black to match.  Then while I was in Oregon, I had my dad turn, on his lathe, a few more pieces to go underneath and above the candlesticks: (I turned the candlesticks over)
Thanks dad! ( I'm actually posting all of this because my mom asked me to when I was talking to her this morning, since they had invested some time into these projects and want to see the outcome.)
Next I gave them a coat of red spray paint and lightly sanded down to the black.  The final product:
The great thing about these, is that you can change out the stuff in the jars to match the season of the year.  Wow, I am so happy with how it all turned out!  They will be great on my entry way table...now if I can only find the table runner that I made a couple of years ago, it will be perfect.
It's been fun, but I think I'm ready to focus on other things for awhile

7 comments:

  1. Holy cow! These are all so cute. You are amazing. Perfect setting for our family Christmas party :) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! Amy!!! Love it all! How amazing you are! You're gorgeous, your family is gorgeous, your house is gorgeous, and all your Christmas decor is gorgeous! Amazing, amazing, amazing. I love all your fabulous ideas, I'm going to bookmark this post if you don't mind and get to work! Maybe I'll have them done in time for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun projects. Whatever about not having imagination. Those jars/candle stands turned out great. Now you just have to make sure the boys don't get into them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks beautiful! Well done - I love all the ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh, you were a busy mama (and equally busy kiddos)! They all turned out so great. Seriously. Some people and their ingenuity! I bet your house feels so warm, bright, and cheery. Perfect for Christmas. Oh, and your tree is just beau-ti-ful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! It's fun to share and have people sound just as excited about your ideas. I need to say, though, Tia, that I truly am lacking in imagination. I'm just a good copy-cat and like to do things myself. So I saw all of these ideas somewhere else and figured out a way to make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The village looks great! You told me you were sticking directly to the pattern... you must have made the house with three dormer windows after you told me that! I can't really tell how big they are from the pictures. You should post a picture of you holding the church so I can see. Those candle stick candy jars are amazing too! What a good idea! We'd better allert Better Homes and Gardens to your house I think!

    ReplyDelete