family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Father's day

I was so lucky to have a dad like this:

He was on a sibling trip this week and this is him crawling through a lava tube at Mount St. Helens.  He has always had an inquisitive mind and an interest in the world around him.  He's an incredible writer, is proper in all he says and does, speaks with authority, is very opinionated,  puts his highest priority on being a good disciple of Jesus Christ and a good husband, his second priority on being the best dad, and his third priority on serving in the church. He's and friendly and goes out of his way to make other people feel important and comfortable. He has a naturally cheerful disposition and doesn't complain even when he's going through something hard; and I've seen him go through hard things. He's self sacrificing and he's so much fun!  He likes to be doing and creating and learning and has always included us in anything he was learning about, doing or creating. I feel like all of us are confident in trying anything (and knowing we can succeed at it) because of him.

 He has always been an early riser and my earliest memories are of waking up early in the morning to the clickety clack of his type - writer as he wrote in his journal, wrote a letter to family members or recorded spiritual thoughts from what he had read in his scriptures that morning. He would always beckon to me to come sit beside him there on the couch, wrap me up in a blanket by his side and snuggle with me, patting my leg in between thoughts.  After awhile, he would get up to make breakfast so that my mom could sleep as long as possible (she took the night shift with babies and he took the mornings).

He has taught me where to go for answers and for happiness.  He has always had a great faith and shared it with us constantly.  I watched him study the gospel and report on what he had learned on a near-daily basis, he shared his spiritual experiences and his answers to prayer.  He taught me to think of others before myself.  He taught by word and deed that living the gospel the best I could and doing a better job of it every day would bring me confidence and happiness. I remember having a discussion with him about repentance that I still think about regularly.  Repentance is such a gift that I am thankful to have been taught about.

What a blessing to have a father like this!  I think of him every single day of my life because of thoughts that pop into my head or events that take place, and because he continues to influence me through letters and emails and thoughts that he still shares.  I imagine everyone thinks of their father, or is at least influenced for good or bad by their past with them, on a regular basis  - I am grateful to have good memories and teachings to reflect on because of the way my dad lives.

Some more wonderful news is that I MARRIED A MAN LIKE MY FATHER!!  Sure, they have some differences; Shawn has some strengths/ habits that my dad doesn't have, and vice versa.  But in the essentials, they are the same.  I am so grateful to have a good man to raise these kids with!:


He got lots of great notes:

The boys made him these "super hero" candy bars with notes of why he is super on the back (l-r Abram, Nolan and Pace):

1 comment: