family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The wonder of mothers

Maybe I'm strange or different than other mothers in this regard, but there are many times that I expect that my kids will be impressed by my efficiency, or ideas, or the way I do things.

...And it's because I am impressed by what I accomplish, or think up to help them out in some way, or by how many things I get done in a short amount of time, or how prepared I am for things even when there was no time for preparation. I find myself thinking, "my kids are going to LOVE this!  They will be so amazed that I did this!!"

And then my kids come home and they notice, or I tell them, or they eat it, etc; and they are appreciative- but I can sense that what I did is just what they expected!

Then I realize, over and over again, that I am the mother, and in my kids eyes I can do anything, so nothing surprises them.  Mothers always take care of and figure out everything.

They don't realize that just yesterday I was their age.  I was learning everything - how to meet deadlines, how to multi-task, how to think through a problem... and doing well at some things, but failing just as often.

And the thing is, that I still feel like their age today.  As the incompetent, incapable, inefficient person that I often was. Many times, when things turn out just right, I am amazed by myself and all that I can do:  all the comforts that I can provide, all that I can get done in a very short amount of time- even while holding a cranky toddler - all the driving around and errands that I take kids on, and still arrive home to a warm meal.  I have learned to plan, and do and love.

My mom used to tell us that everything she had become was because she was a mother. Maybe she said this to us whenever she was particularly impressed with something that she did for us and when she noticed that what she did was just what we expected! She saw needs, and as she met them she learned and she and her capabilities grew.

Today I have to echo what she has said - everything I am or that I am becoming is because I am a mother.  And the most incredible wonderful thing of all is that I am becoming my mother!!!

Today I appreciate all the things that my mother thought, perhaps, that I didn't appreciate the way she was appreciating them- because I am experiencing the same things.

God's plan is so good.  It is so enriching and fulfilling.  It helps us to progress so much faster than we could in any other way!

And, amazingly, someday in the future, I will look back and be amazed by what I have become since this very moment in time! It's amazing to think about a person's potential - ours, our children's, even our parents.

Today, I still see my mother progressing and doing more than she ever thought she was capable of doing.  She is amazing!


3 comments:

  1. I just have to say very well said. I love this post! I have always been impressed with your mom and you and your siblings. You have a wonderful mother who has taught you all well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Very well said! I for one am amazed at all you accomplish during a day. I feel exhausted after reading your letters and hearing about the marathons you run every day. It makes me appreciate the time I have right now when my kids are young and I don't have to run them here and there and have them in a lot of different activities! You are such a good mother and I can tell you enjoy your job. You find time to do so many fun and creative things with/for your kids even with all the busy schedules! It is very impressive indeed and I hope I can grow up to be like you and Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! Every time we come and visit you inspire me. The salsa recipe was fabulous by the way and I canned a bunch of it :)

    ReplyDelete