family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Thursday, May 8, 2014

There are some new girls in town

....and I think I am going to like them a lot!! Two boxes of Italian honeybees!  Talk about something exciting to receive in the mail!!

We go through so much honey around here that  I wondered about the possibilities of raising our own and read a book about it a couple of years ago.  That got me REALLY excited about the whole idea.  Then Caden got really excited about it with me! And THEN I was finally able to get my handy man husband on board!  Here he is getting the foundation ready for the hives:
 


  
Shawn had to leave for some bishopric visits and missed out on the exciting part of installing all the bees in their hives:( 


We really didn't know what to expect, never having done it before, but I was a little bit worried, because some of our bee clothes never had arrived.  We were supposed to have two veils so that Caden and I could both work the bees, but only one came.  SOooo, we dressed in some really light colors, having read that bees are upset by dark ones.  And I opted to be the installer since I have no problem with stings, and Caden tends to be a little bit allergic to them. Noln spraying them with sugar syrup to calm them before installation:

Getting ready to remove the queen bee:

 Turns out that there was no need to worry - they were completely harmless and before long everyone was right up where they could see and help. I didn't even need that bee veil - and actually didn't use it for the second hive.  Which was nice because it helped Isabelle, who was feeling a little wary, to get close up and see the whole process. 

The bee installation helpers - Kami videoed the whole thing:

We aren't supposed to peek at them for a week while they get everything set up and accept the queen bee.  I hope they all survive!

6 comments:

  1. We have been wanting to do the same thing but where to put them in our problem. Nathan researched in out but we haven't gone any further than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! The orchard next to us has 4 big hives and they sell us the most delicious honey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! That will be a neat project and great for food storage. Where did they come from? Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time! I was wondering when you guys would do this. It is exactly what you need with all the honey you go through. We have loved having our bees. The more I learn about them, the more I think that next to humans, they are the most amazing creatures on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is SO AWESOME!!! So so awesome. Enjoy them!!! I wish we could have bees too.

    ReplyDelete