family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Friday, May 2, 2014

old

Some things around here are getting old.  Like the fact that I have been sick for almost two weeks, had massive pressure in my head, feel like I can't hear, sore throat, cough and WAY too much congestion: so any sleep is a miracle. I am beginning to feel a little better (I think) but even at that I only managed to sleep for four hours last night. Four. This is getting old.

And, for better or worse, I also see signs that I am getting old as well. After lying down for days on end, I stood up one afternoon and realized that somehow I had pulled a muscle in my calf ...without even doing anything.  Soooo, I have been trying to hobble around like an elderly person so that it can heal, but since I just barely turned "old" I have a hard time remembering this.  I step down off of chairs after trying to get something out of a very high cupboard, or I try to explain to Maddie something about soccer (as though I even know anything) and try to take a running step without thinking.  My muscle feels like it rips and tears some more.

ARG!!! I think to myself.  I haven't gotten to exercise in TWO WEEKS!!! When will I get to exercise again?!

Confessional:
* As a side-note, I am sick of these two old things (being sick and having a hurt leg) but I must acknowledge that they are entirely my own fault.  I needed to learn a lesson. You see, I am so selfish and unsympathetic whenever Shawn is sick, and last week when he hurt his leg, I immediately thought, "Oh great.  Now even though he is home, I will still be on my own, doing everything myself!" So you see, those are my true colors, and I needed to get good and sick, and then my leg got hurt so that I would really get the picture of how horrible I was about Shawn's hurt leg last week. Sooo, I have literally taken notes -from my sweet husband- on how to be more sympathetic to sick people. My list includes novel ideas like: Ask how they are feeling several times a day.  Don't ask or expect them to do ANYTHING.  Ask if there is anything that would make them feel better. I vow to humbly refer to this list the very next time he is under the weather.

While I have been sick I have lost five pounds.  I was anticipating all of the things that I could eat (and over-eat) on as soon as food sounded good again.  I was going to have a really great time gaining that weight back!  While I was at Maddie's soccer game last night, my appetite suddenly and over-whelmingly returned.  I was starving!!  I didn't know if I could wait for the game to finish!  It ended after 7:00 and since I had taken kids to piano lessons right after school and went straight from there to the soccer game, there was no food ready at home. And I knew I wouldn't be able to wait to prepare something.

As a side note, I have been patting myself on the back because I haven't bought any of these for 8 months:
HOT-N-READY Classic
But that is exactly what I did last night.  Then I crammed as much of it into my body as it could handle.  Then I ate another piece.

And this is more evidence that I am getting old:  I gained all of my weight back in one night.  I guess I won't get to enjoy complete gluttony for as long as I thought:(

My last evidence that I am getting old is that I am entertaining the thought of sporting this hairstyle:
Natural wave
(If I thought that I could look as sweet and cute as this lady, I'd do it in a heartbeat)

But really - If your hair fell out and then grew in like this all over your head after every baby, what would you do?

Some people might be able to get away with a cute pixie hair-cut - like you, Heidi.  But from the the looks of above picture, I'm pretty sure that a pixie would give my face the length of a horse's.
This is like a whole other set of bangs!!
I think I have found the best option for my hair to grow in evenly.

3 comments:

  1. It's about time you got old like the rest of us!
    I hear you with the hair! I put my hair up in a pony tail (that's about 1/3 of what it used to be) and all over, these fluffy strands come out. Argh! I need to get my hair cut!
    And I swear, I could walk into Little Ceasars and say, "I'll have the regular" and they'd know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Man, I had forgotten about the losing hair thing after having a baby! I'm so glad I've got that to look forward to this year. My hair always looks like that though...at least on the left side of my head. The hairs are always broken off there. I hope all your old symptoms resolve themselves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am prone to a lack of sympathy too. I am trying to work on it but occasionally need a painful reminder. A bee sting shouldn't have been such a big deal until I got one too. We had a rash of toe injuries here for a while that I thought were all way over dramatized until I mangled my own. Unfortunately for our children, Kevin is hard-hearted as well, except for when it comes to me and then he is very sweet and sympathetic. I wish I could say I return the favor.

    I feel your pain as far as the hair issues go. I always go half bald and am still growing out sprouts from after Tabitha. I can look forward to the grand shedding in another month or so. Maybe I should consider that pixie, but don't you think it would make my head look too small? ;) Heidi

    ReplyDelete