family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Monday, November 18, 2013

When?

Right at the end of Kami's surprise party (previous post) a boy called MY phone (because Kami had left hers at home) and asked to speak to Kami.  He asked her on her first date. When I walked back to Shawn after handing Kami my phone, he groaned and said, "This just gives me the most sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach!  When did she get old enough for all of this stuff?"

When indeed?!?!

Shawn's nostalgia made the song "Sun Rise, Sun Set" from Fiddler On The Roof, one of my all-time favorite musicals, pop into my head. THEN I started feeling nostalgic...which can make you also feel a little melancholy. 

When DID she grow to be a beauty? Kami before her first date:

When DID she grow to be so tall?
WASN'T it yesterday when she was small?


Is this the little girl I carried?




I don't remember growing older....when did she? I look at these pictures and it seems like we just took them last year!

I miss that little face and little body!  I'm glad that I don't have to miss that sweet smile and bubbly good-natured personality!  I am loving the teenage years, but the sudden realization of how quickly this wonderful season of my life will come to a close saddens me. I love being a mom.

 Shawn and I felt a little melancholy that first night of our oldest turning 16, but the next day, when another boy called and asked for a date, we felt more accustomed to things.

And before the boy showed up, Shawn had to have his little joke:

4 comments:

  1. I love it. It is hard to see the kids grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dating is exciting! And for the record, you don't look any older now than 16 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just crazy that she is 16! You are so beautiful Kami! Scary that the boys are lining up so quickly, but I could see that one coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get used to it! :) Dave's had his guns out "cleaning" them more than once when a boy has come to pick up one of our girls :). Happy Birthday Kami!!!

    ReplyDelete