family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The next Louis L'amour

One of my favorite things are the stories that my little kids write.  The other day, Nolan and I stapled together some papers and I asked him what he wanted to write a story about.  He decided on "cowboys".


He decorated the outside and drew some cute pictures on the inside:
Nolan just got an interest in drawing this week and has been drawing picts. of our family, etc. There aren't a lot of extra details, but he spent a lot of time on the messed up hair and whiskers on the cowboy on the left. :)
I thought this "bad cowboy" looked particularly villainous :)
Then he dictated a story to me while I wrote it down for him.  He was certainly at no loss for words, and I had to keep telling him to stop for a minute so that I could get everything written down just how he said it.  All of the kids have enjoyed his story, and it's something that I want to remember, so here it is:

"Once upon a time a cowboy was walking. Then he heard a noise and it was a drunk cowboy.  The good cowboy hid behind a rock because he didn't want to fight the drunk cowboy. (Refer to picture #1 for illustration)

The drunk cowboy was walking and making sounds and the good cowboy shot the drunk cowboy.  Then an indian shot the good cowboy with an arrow.  Then another cowboy that was his friend saw the indian and he busted down the indian.

The cowboy was walking with his horse and he was going on a hill.  He heard a noise and it was an animal.  And it was a moose.  It was two daddy mooses.  And he shot both of them.  Then he kept riding and he heard another noise - it was a chicken.  It was like, "cock-a-doodle-doo!"  But he didn't shoot it because he knew it wouldn't hurt him.  Then he was at the barn.

At the barn he goed to the house and it was black and all these bullets were there and he saw this little, teeny fire and he blowed it.  And the bad guys were still in there.  He threw them up on the house and they fell off on their face and got all bloody.  He killed them because they were bad."

Where he's learned about "drunken cowboys" and gotten all of these violent ideas I'm not so sure.  I suspect it's from his 'Bonanza' reruns:)  We are all getting a kick out of his story and language usage like "busted down".  I've got to say, the story holds us spell-bound from start to finish!!

3 comments:

  1. I love reading about your creative kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! Too cute!
    -Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! He will enjoy reading about this when he gets older!

    ReplyDelete