family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Thursday, October 13, 2011

A lion and a lamb

Lately Nolan has been developing quite a temper and when someone crosses him I can hear him roaring at whoever has done it clear across the house.  If I am clear across the house when this happens, the person he is roaring at is out of luck and usually also gets some fists or something equally charming like that.  If I'm close at hand, I can step in and tell him that I'm not liking the tone of his voice and remind him to notice how he's feeling inside when he behaves that way. (That always does the trick with him.)  Anyways, he can sound so ferocious lately, and yet he is so sweet and really does like to correct his behavior as quickly as possible so that he can feel happy again.  He can go from a scowl to a joyful smile so quickly - Oh to be like a child!

I know that I write about my little boys a lot, but they're the bulk of my day - lately Nolan has done two very gentle things that made me smile. 

Yesterday I was having one of those great accomplishment days and didn't want to quit "accomplishing" for anything!! Our dog, Jack, had been on his leash ever since Caden went to school, and suddenly noticing him,  I said to Nolan, "Poor Jack.  He's been on his leash all day today, but I am too busy to go outside with him."  Nolan went over to the window and looking out at him, sadly shook his head and said, "Yeah, poor Jack.  Bless his little heart."

Today we were reading a new book about a little llama that went to preschool for the first time and was missing his mama. He couldn't join in any of the activities because he was missing his mama so much.  Then in one part it says, "It's too much for little Llama...Llama Llama MISSES MAMA!"  I made it sound like the little Llama was crying when I read "misses mama".  I glanced sideways and Nolan was wiping his eyes.  He noticed me looking at him and abashedly said, "Boy! That makes me cry!"  I guess he could totally relate - he hasn't wanted me to leave lately when I drop him off for his church class.

There's something about a four year old - their moods all seem so intense.  But boy do I love this little guy, in all of his moods!

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! I just love that little guy! - Kelley Gee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet!
    -Ivy

    ReplyDelete