family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Friday, March 18, 2011

Mischief makers

We have never had leprechauns come to our house. Ever. So, I'm pretty sure that it was Isabelle's traps that lured them in, because we had enough tricks and mischief played at our house yesterday to last me for a year!

Before we started our family activities yesterday morning, we were sure to tell Isabelle to check her traps.  I tell you, she woke up cheerfully and with enthusiasm!  That doesn't always happen in her case.:)  There was no sign that any leprechauns had been tampering with them, which I believe was a good thing, because she then informed us all that her teacher had told her that leprechauns DO NOT come at night. Phew!  That was a close one, because at first we had thought about having them come at night.

Right before scriptures, Caden disappeared, and I suspect that is the moment that the leprechauns came.  We had breakfast with some milk that had been turned green (yuck) and while Nolan was bathing his water suddenly turned green!  Caden told him that he thought a leprechaun had touched it.


THEN the little girls suddenly noticed that their traps had been sprung and apparently they had originally trapped a leprechaun, and he had gotten away but left a little hat and slipper!  Also he had left what looked like some gold coins, but it turned out that was just another one of his tricks, because there was just chocolate inside of them.
I love this picture of her initial reaction to the find.


Isabelle took the hat and slipper to school, where her teacher insisted that she show the whole class.  When she got home, she carried them everywhere with her, and at lunch had them sitting directly in front of her.  After praying over the food, she informed us that she had been unable to close her eyes for the prayer because she was afraid that the leprechaun could be around somewhere and would try to steal them back while she wasn't looking.

After school the kids went on a treasure hunt all through the house and outside and found a small pot filled with some gold.  The gold looked really cool, and the kids are treasuring it, but once again, we are afraid that it is a trick and that the gold was spray painted to look like the real thing.  Those tricky leprechauns!

on the treasure hunt
divvying up the gold
 We had a ward party last night that I was to bring corn bread to.  I wish I could blame the outcome of what I made on those crazy leprechauns.  Actually, around this house, I did blame it on them.  Let's just say that Shawn agreed to make a new batch for me.  Corn bread that has been sitting underneath the broiler doesn't look or taste very tempting.  Burnt top and doughy underneath. I think I'll blame it on my oven- it said it was baking!!

(Just between you and me, Kami, Caden and I had the most fabulous evening on the 16th after the kids went to bed. Kami discovered she was a great shoe maker and milliner, Caden can make stones into gold, and find great places to leave clues.  While they discovered these talents, I made up silly verses for the treasure hunt, like "Me looked for a place to lay me head.  All that me found was a blasted cat bed!" and "Luck 'o the Irish! Ye'r getting bold!  Look in the snow hill for me pot of gold!" We had a wonderful time.)

5 comments:

  1. How fun!!! It sounds like you had a blast. And how smart are you to get your older kids involved like that. You are such a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all so creative. We didn't do anything fun. I forgot about it. Samuel woke up and got all dressed in green, but I forgot, so he came up and gave me a little pinch to remind me. That's about all the effort I made. Usually I do better than this. Oh well, maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun house! My kids kept looking for any sign of leprechauns...next year I will have to send them to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the Leprechaun hat and shoe idea! So cute that Isabelle was so excited about that! She's so cute. What a fun day! And so fun that your older kids helped out.

    ReplyDelete