family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Monday, March 14, 2011

Leprechaun preparations

Apparently there has been a lot of hype about St. Patrick's Day at Kindergarten lately.  Isabelle comes home with more information about leprechauns every day.  She has a leprechaun poem that she has been reciting over and over! This may be her Irish heritage coming out.  (My maiden name is Irish - Kerns means Irish foot soldier). Her teacher's family isn't too far removed from Ireland herself and she even has a grandmother that still lives there. The class is going to give her a call on St. Patrick's Day!

Anyway, Isabelle spent the better part of Friday afternoon building a trap for leprechauns.  She has heard that if you catch one, you will get all of their gold, and you will be RICH!!  She was sweet enough to let us all know that if she happens to catch one in her traps she will share all of the gold with all of us.  So, as you can imagine, I am very supportive of a successful trap!

As you can see, there is a little door that the leprechauns can squeeze through.  As you can't see, there is some gold, cut out of yellow construction paper that is lying on the floor of her trap. These little men want gold really badly, so they will go into her trap just to try to get it. She says that the best placement of this trap is underneath her bed.  I believe her!

Her enthusiasm for building traps soon rubbed off on all of the kids and before long we had traps everywhere!  I guess it looked like a fun activity to everyone.


This is the second model that Caden helped her with.  There is a thread, invisible to the eye, tied between the two front legs of the furniture in the picture.  The idea is, that the leprechauns see the gold lying in the dish, go to take it, trip over the thread and trigger the cage that is above the gold to fall on the little men. Here is a close-up of the sign in the picture that Belle made to lure them in.

"Go in here.  You will be safe"

Maddie made one more trap:

The idea behind this one is that the leprechauns will spy the gold at the top of this contraption, will climb the ladder to get to it, and will fall through the trap door directly beneath the gold.  (Goodness, I am going to have to keep my eyes open and my brain suspicious around here!  These children have deviant minds!)

We are all anxiously awaiting a great success Thursday.  How could we fail?   I think that I'd better get out to the store sometime today and buy some gold- spray paint for some rocks and chocolate coins! (wink, wink)  Have a good one, everybody!!






4 comments:

  1. Your kids are awesome! I love how excited they get about everthing. I hope they get lots of gold and have a fun st. patricks day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making a leprechaun traps when I was in first grade. Mrs. Wendt told us that Leprechauns like bright shiny things so I remember decorating it with differently colored plastic beads. She also said that they are very mischievous and like to get into things they shouldn't. Therefore I put "danger," "beware," "and do not enter" signs all over it. My model was similar to Maddie's with a ladder going to the top of a jar. I still remember the excitement of going out to recess and coming in to find that all the traps in the classroom had been sprung and the leprechaun had accidentally spilled some of his gold (chocolate coins)into them in his struggle to get out. As a first grader I really believed that story. Later that day I went over to our cousin Debbie's house where she had a treasure hunt ending at a buried treasure in the garden that leprechauns had left. It was full of fine jewelry and coins. I thought we were so wealthy and so lucky!
    Thanks for bringing back some memories! That is so fun that all the kids got into this. I think it will be so fun when Kilynn is Isabelle's age and can get excited about these things. I still remember the wonder of leprechauns, tooth fairies, and Santa Claus at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Looks like so much fun. Nothing like these fun little holidays that these kids get so excited about. Cute leprechaun traps!

    ReplyDelete