family picture 2020

family picture 2020

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Morning of The Fourth


Sunday night my brother Matt talked a group of us into waking up really early the next morning and hiking or running the Elkhorn Crest Trail.  He does it at least once per year, and told us it was no big deal to run the ten (or  more) miles!  I knew that wasn't true for me, but I was up for a hike!  Kami and I both have bad knees and can't run too much on them, so we were good hiking companions.  Caden, Matt and Eli ran ALL THE WAY!!!

At the trail head, ready to take off:

The most insane part of this was that we woke up at 3:30 a.m. so that we would be sure and be home in time to get ready for the parade!

Once we got going, I didn't think it was insane at all.  It was beautiful watching the dawn happen from on top of the world:




purple mountains majesty as far as I could see:

On this hike you can look down at Sumpter on your left and Baker City on your right.  The sun was just rising over Baker Valley:

Kami looking down on Twin Lakes in the distance:
Heading back:
And seeing wildlife:


And getting incredibly close to a mountain goat:

Kami and I turned around early because we were worried about the runners having to wait for us, which would happen if we walked too far and they passed us going back.  We got back to the pickup and took a short nap...

It wasn't long before Matt came running in, followed a short time later by Eli and Caden.  I got a picture of Cade:)

We were headed home by 8 or 8:30, feeling grateful for this beautiful place that we have to enjoy and this great nation that we live in.  And so happy that we were able to pull ourselves out of bed early enough to enjoy it TOGETHER.

3 comments: